Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Digital Homage - a bit like yogurt maybe

Over a period of almost thirty years my personal creative writing evolved into two and three stage processes. Long hand pencil text fragments were scribbled into hardback notebooks while dreaming. These ideas and snippets I later made into formal digital text by inputting them into a PC. In the 1980’s it was a word processor. Further deliberate editing and formatting completed that process. Dreaming – constructing - then reviewing maybe

I was to later discover my evolved process can be understood to conform to the recognised ‘dreamer-maker-critic’ creative process model. The façade of personal process uniqueness shattered, realization dawned that my previous experimentations with various forms and structures were ultimately relatively conventional in a process context. Playing around and creatively updating old ideas provides opportunity for growth and genuine experimentation in respect of my understanding process within my practise of my craft.

Now I don’t want to get too serious or analytical in terms of waffling on & on about the mechanics of digital writing – I find it a bit cheesy really. But there has always been an artistic tradition of cultural borrowings and creative updates, indeed the transformation of found objects into successful art somehow endorses this idea of digital homage that spins about in my head from time to time.

I’d call this blog digital fromage for obvious reasons but homage is closer to the idea of respecting the originals that inspire my subsequent work. I will provide only one current sample and you can find it here.Its a piece of digital writing called 'Bob Casio's dead Cameraman'. Please play with it and let me know, either here or on the main site if you do or don't like it.

No comments: